Monday, October 11, 2010

Hour By Hour

Connecting spiritually in France hasn't been a problem; connecting to my spiritual practice, however, has taken me awhile. Just getting used to being in a new place with a new routine disrupted my practice of morning devotions. I wasn't able to pack my Bible due to its size and weight. I've coped by finding my Forward Day-by-Day devotions online and have used an online Bible site to read the verses indicated for each day. Before I left Des Moines, my friend, Karen, gave me her prayer book, 'Hour By Hour'. The small, slender volume fit perfectly in my carry-on bag. This little book helps me 'pray the hours' in the morning, at noon, in the evening, and at compline. It's been the tool that's been the most helpful in getting me back into a spiritual routine. While I don't think I can make weekly worship happen, praying both 'hour by hour' and when I hear the village church bells chime will keep me connected and grounded in God.Thank you, Karen, for being God's instrument in my life!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Do you know there are online bibles and book of common prayer (with lectionary)? Surely you do. Am enjoying your blogs.

Evelyn said...

Actually I use an online Bible for my daily devotions since I couldn't bring my wonderful annotated study Bible with me...too heavy! I read the Forward Day by Day meditation every day and read the verses associated with it. I didn't know there was a Book of Common Prayer online...I'll have to Google it. Thanks!

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin