Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Untie the Strong Woman

During Holy Week, I read a review of this book, "Untie the Strong Woman" in a blog that I subscribe to: Spiritual Travels. It immediately grabbed my attention as yet again, Mary touched my life at Easter. I ordered the book and have already completed reading it. Like Dr. Estes' book "Women Who Run With the Wolves," (another personal favorite of mine), this one is full of stories, legends and mystical happenings that truly illustrate the 'Blessed Mother's immaculate love for the wild soul' which is the book's subtitle. I was enthralled; where has this Mary been all my life? That's one disadvantage of growing up Protestant...we don't have saints and once Christmas is past, we hear virtually nothing about Mary. Yet here she is...a living, breathing presence for so many people. A kind, compassionate heart to which those in pain, in trouble or in spiritual devastation pray. Mary comforts all and is part of all...politics, human rights, illegal immigration, abortion, the shameful history of oppresion and destruction of peoples. Her people pray to her in times of drought, war, pregnancy, prison, and troubled relationships. And Dr. Estes tells her story with ex-votos, poetry, and even a few naughty words. I think my favorite chapter in the book is actually a poem, "Guadalupe is a Girl Gang Leader in Heaven" That's my kind of woman!

I will begin re-reading this book today with pen and highlighter in hand just as I did with "Woman Who Run With the Wolves." There is much food for thought...and action here. At one point, Estes writes: “Her fingerprints are all over me….Her palm prints are on my shoulders from trying to steer me in various proper and difficult directions.” And now her fingerprints are all over me as well. Into which direction is she steering me? Time will tell.

Thanks to SoundsTrue for the book image.

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin