Sunday, May 10, 2009

Me, God, and the Other

The readings from last evening's service with the Bishop were from Acts and 1 John. The Acts verses tell the story of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch with whom Philip shares the good news of Christ. 1 John repeats words from other places in the New Testament which instruct us to love others as God loves us. I see a common thread in these two very different passages, one that enlightens my understanding of how to be God's child. The Ethiopian is reading Isaiah and Philip asks him this simple question: "Do you understand what you are reading?" And the Ethiopian answers: "How can I, unless someone guides me?" (Acts 8:30-31) Discernment requires an Other. In 1 John the theme of loving others is re-iterated over and over: "...let us love one another....we also ought to love one another....he who loves God should love his brother also." (1 John 4:7-21) Love requires not only God, but an Other. In both passages, the Other is vital to abiding with God...Others who might instruct us, Others whom we are instructed to love. To me, this says that a relationship between just me and God is incomplete; only when Other is included do I live as God's child. This is why my community of faith is so important to me, why it is vital to share stories with the Others in my life to learn from each other, to support the other in life's struggles. Even in the silence of corporate prayer, my connection with the Others around me strengthens my connection to God. The Other is why God calls His children into service in the world. Here is what God says to me: a life of love is among us, not between us...it is me, God and the Other.

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin