Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Ministry

I was startled when Mary spoke to me about this blog, Dona Nobis Pacem, and referred to it as 'my ministry.' I mumbled something about 'it's just some thoughts I have about things on my mind,' letting my voice trail off into that no-man's land of 'let's not talk about this...it makes me uncomfortable.' We didn't discuss it any further, but I've been thinking about it ever since. Do I have a 'ministry?' It's kind of like asking 'am I a Christian?' I don't have a good answer for either. Saying yes to either question would take 'way more self-confidence than I have right now. I used to refer to myself as a 'baby Christian,' one just learning, in Christian infancy. I'm much too old to be a baby anything, so I gave up that terminology. I'm still learning and exploring though, and I know I've found where I need to be in the Episcopal Church. So what about this ministry issue? It sounds a bit pretentious, doesn't it? After all, who am I to minister? I'm a seeker, a learner, a sponge for knowledge, not someone who has answers for others. I'm currently reading a newly-published book called "Your Faith Your Life: An Invitation to the Episcopal Church." As I was reading the chapter on identifying what God is calling me to do, I came across this startling sentence: "The Episcopal Church recognizes all baptized people as ministers of God's kingdom...everyone who's been baptized shares a common ministry: representing Christ and his church." It goes on to say that 99% of God's people are called to this important lay ministry. So maybe sharing my thoughts, my questions and my uncertainties is a form of ministry. I bring God to your attention when you read this blog; maybe that's exactly what He wants for both of us today.

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin