Saturday, January 17, 2009

Whatever Happened to Joseph?

Sometimes in the midst of my morning devotions or the Saturday evening service at church, I'm surprised by a word or a question that suddenly leaps to the forefront of my consciousness. Frequently the word is one that I've read many, many times, but this time I'm puzzled by it; what does it mean, really? Occasionally a story or a piece of Scripture that is as familiar to me as my own name becomes mysteriously new; what does this story mean, really? Verses or parables that previously seemed complete now appear to be lacking something...a piece of information or an explanation about the culture of the times that might give an entirely different meaning to the lesson. I experienced just such a moment this week as I was eating breakfast. I was admiring this figurine of the Holy Family that sits on my table (yes, I know it's 'way past Christmas, but I like it a lot!). I've seen hundreds of images of this Holy Family over the years, yet suddenly I was puzzled by this question: whatever happened to Joseph? He had to have been an integral part of Jesus and Mary's life, yet other than mention of him in the Mark and Luke Nativity stories, he's nowhere to be found. My Oxford Concise Concordance lists other Josephs to be sure: Joseph of the many-colored coat, Joseph of Arimethea, a Joseph in Acts, but not Joseph of Christ's earthly family. Maybe someone talked about this in Sunday School 101 on a day I wasn't there, and I never heard the story? Do you know the story? Share it with me if you do. Whatever happened to Joseph?

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin