Saturday, January 31, 2009

Acedia

Mary's homily tonight was on some verses in Mark that talk about Jesus casting out a demon from a man in the temple. She didn't speak to this miracle, but rather to the demon itself, specifically the demon called 'acedia.'
Acedia was one of the original 8 deadly thoughts that eventually became the seven deadly sins. Acedia was the only demon that dared show itself in the light of day; it usually came out around noon and was also known as the 'noon day demon.' While some refer to acedia today as sloth, it's really different than sloth or mere depression. It's more a lethargy of the spirit, a not caring, a restless boredom. It was first identified by heremitic monks and is still seen in those who live a solitary life. This is a fascinating concept to me because I think it defines how I currently feel....not depressed, but not able to find joy in a lot of life. I live too much inside my own head much like the early desert monks did. I first read this word in "The Cloister Walk" by Kathleen Norris. Mary's reference to acedia came from Norris' newest book "Acedia and Me." What resonates with me now after hearing Mary's sermon is that once a problem can be named, it can be fixed! I'm not just weird; I'm like thousands of other spiritual seekers who live solitary lives and think 'way too much. Norris offers advice on how to defeat this 'demon.' Her method: prayer, writing, and caring for others. I think those things are a good start for me as well.

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin