Sunday, March 15, 2009

Prayer Beads


I'm such a visual person that when I saw these Anglican prayer beads, I knew I had to try them. I thought seeing the beads would help me focus my thoughts on God; closing my eyes when I pray works briefly but soon I find my thoughts drifting. Of course, anyone who prays with beads realizes that they are not to look at, lovely as they are. I soon discovered their real beauty and meaning lies in touching them. Whether I pray the prayers that came with them or my own prayers, I'm reminded of God at each bead. As I feel the shape and texture of each bead with my fingers, I think of the body and blood of Christ When I begin praying, the beautiful Celtic cross and all the beads are cool to the touch; by the time I finish they are warm and almost feel soft in my hand. They become God's comforting presence. Yes, I know they are metal and plastic, not living things. But I also know that God lives everywhere in my world. Why not in my prayer beads?
I ordered the beads from the White Street Bead Co. which I found through the Companions of St. Luke website. The Abbey of St. Benedict is located about 3 hours southeast of where I live. I intend to visit it sometime spring. They rest here on my little Book of Common Prayer that Mary gave me during our first pastoral session. I read from it daily. During this Lenten season, it is the basis of my discipline of praying the hours. It has become a blessing in my life.

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin