Friday, July 30, 2010

Prayer Traps

Along with the love letters I received during my Cursillo weekend, I also received numerous prayer cards, pocket crosses and coins and other Christian 'doo dads.' You see them here on my little Charley Brown Christmas tree that sits perpetually in my hallway. It was naked, so I clothed it in prayer reminders which we learned during one of our talks can be referred to as 'prayer traps.' They are reminders placed in strategic places that encourage us to pray. My tree is festooned with a purple lei that tells me Iowa Cursillistas are praying for our weekend, a tiny skateboard that says Jesus, numerous cards with Bible verses and inspirational thoughts, bracelets, a key chain, necklaces of De Colores, etc. Each time I pass my tree, I seek out one of the prayer traps and whisper a thank you to God for my many blessings. Another prayer trap I use is simply waking up. After I become conscious and before I get out of bed, I try to remember to thank God for the morning and murmur "This is a day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." My friend, Laury always lights a candle to her 'Merci Lady' in Cajarc, St. Cirq Lapopie, Cahors or where ever she finds her as a thank you for her many blessings. Do you use prayer traps to remind yourself to pray? How do you thank God?

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin