Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A New Church continued....

The Next Time

and the next….
each visit is easier.
I learn where to hang my coat,
I find the bathrooms.
The gospel side feels right.
I remember how good it feels
to kneel in prayer
after Communion.
I know when to pull the kneeler down.
Thank God…
it’s ‘trepass’ and ‘trepasses’
not ‘debts’ and ‘debtors.’
I still don’t know how to bow or
when to make the Sign of the Cross,
or even if I should.
But I have my offering ready;
I don’t have to fumble.

These people of God
wander the whole church
Passing the Peace.
I venture a row or two only.
I still lose my place in the liturgy
if I don’t focus.
But the Peace of Christ lingers
longer and longer
each time.
I look forward to each next time.
Now when Mary or Elizabeth send us forth
to do God’s work in the world,
I feel ready.
Late summer 2008
You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin