Saturday, February 7, 2009

Solitude

The prayer group at church is reading this powerful little book by Henri J.M. Nouwen. It contains three meditations on important parts of a life of faith. This morning we talked about the first meditation on solitude. Quoting New Testament scripture, Nouwen reminds me that even in the most action-packed times in Jesus' life, Jesus took time to go out alone to meditate and pray. If this time of being alone was so important to Jesus, how much more important is it to me? As the discussion ebbed and flowed, my thoughts began to crystallize about just what solitude is for me. I live alone, my life is not packed full of the multiple commitments that many people have, yet this alone time is not solitude. For me, solitude is intentional; it is structured time that I spend with God. It is time in prayer, in meditation, in appreciation and praise for His creation. My times of solitude have a beginning and an end. The time in between is filled with intention whether that be prayer for others, asking for forgiveness for my sins and shortcomings, praising my Creator, or simply sitting in silence, listening for God to reveal Himself. In this in-between time, the world slips away, and Iam focused instead on spirit.

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin