Sunday, April 26, 2009

Becoming An Easter Person

Last evening Elizabeth spoke about Easter in her homily. No, not about the holiday we celebrated on April 12th, but of Easter, the time now, after Christ's resurrection. I have to admit, I've always been one of those people who Elizabeth referenced in the message; one who checked off the holiday on the calendar. "Okay, we've done that; I've sent Easter cards to the grandkids. Now I can start thinking about...." But as Elizabeth explained, Easter is not just about Christ's suffering on the cross or rising from the tomb. It's about what happens next; it's about the 'but' that Luke uses over and over as he tells the story. "But...they found the stone rolled away." "...but..they did not believe them." (the words of the women) "But him they did not see." All these things happened after Christ's death and all of these things are the rest of the story, the story of being an Easter person. Christ comes again and again, patiently explaining his story, God's story. "Yes, I suffered. Yes, I died, Yes, I come again to you to fulfill the Scriptures. And yes, because I did all these things, I am always there for you, always present to guide, to comfort, to help you, to rejoice with you. I am real and because I am real, I stand with you. Not just on Easter morning, but always. You are my Easter people."

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin