Friday, April 24, 2009

Celtic Worship

Last Sunday evening Edith and I attended a Celtic worship service at her church, St. James. It was a small group, maybe 30-40 people, who gathered in this 1905 church built of beautiful creamy stone. The dark wood pews, paneling and arched beams set off the jewel-like stained glass windows of the Anglican-style church. It felt so peaceful and refreshing to listen to the harp play soft Celtic melodies. The liturgy was traditional Episcopalian, but the prayers were Celtic, much like this one:


MY SOUL'S HEALER
My soul's Healer,
Keep me at even,
Keep me at morning,
Keep me at noon,
On rough course faring,
Help and safeguard
My means this night.
I am tired, astray, and stumbling,
Shield me from snare and sin.

It was a lovely close to a wonderful weekend.

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin