Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Foggy Morning

I awoke this morning to a mild morning hushed by a blanket of pea-soupy fog. As I drove along my gravel road, I glimpsed a pheasant as he scooted across the road and into the ditch out of my path. I remembered to slow down, to respect the right-of -way of others. Even on Interstate 35, the fog was thick enough to cause everyone to turn on headlights and stay alert. Life is like this a lot; I have to remind myself to take a deep breath and slow down, to stay alert for God's messages, to shine a light into the dark places. At one point on my drive into work, I experienced a brief moment of disorientation. The fog obscured all my usual landmarks...where the heck was I? Had I missed my exit? I feel adrift in my life like this at times. I keep moving, but to where? I have to trust that God is there with me, that He knows where this road is going even when I don't. Once I made it into the city, traffic crawled to stop and go along Fleur Dr. As frustrating as it was to sit there stopped in traffic, seeing only red tail lights as they disappeared slowly into the fog, I had to remind myself that I'm not in control, that God is directing this traffic called life. I might never know why my life crawls at too slow a pace or speeds up so I can barely catch my breath. I might never know why one dream stops and another begins. All this unknown is okay, though. God knows; I don't need to. All I need to do is trust.

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin