Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Protestant Work Ethic

I'm sitting here feeling very guilty today. I think the Protestant work ethic is kicking in. It's been a week since I lost my job, and I feel as if I should be doing something productive, something that makes money, something that society finds more acceptable than being quiet, introspective, and listening for God to whisper next steps in my ear. I should be getting up in the morning, getting ready for work, worrying about the weather and road conditions. I should be checking emails and returning phone calls making sure I'm on top of the budget, personnel issues, projects and initiatives. I should be sitting in long, boring meetings listening to the 'flavor of the day' management theories and watching my colleagues play the political games it takes to get ahead. Right? I prove my worth by putting in long hours, by worrying about work when I'm not there and by being reachable and accountable 24/7. Right? Doing these things, after all, guarantees a pay check, prestige, and the good graces of Christian society since I'm working hard and taking care of myself. Where in the world did this idea come from? Here's what Google says about it: "The Protestant Work Ethic, sometimes called the Puritan Work Ethic, is a sociological, theoretical concept. It is based upon the notion that the Calvinist emphasis on the necessity for hard work is proponent of a person's calling and worldly success is a sign of personal salvation. " I visited my Concordance to see if Scripture  speaks to this work ethic. No where did I find Jesus or anyone else giving these directives.  It's true you can find Scripture to support almost any viewpoint; I say this to preface the Scripture that I did find and that speaks to my heart. First, Eccelsiastes 3:22 "...there is nothing better than that a man should enjoy his work, for that is his lot..." Secondly from Psalms 90:17 "Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish thou the work of our hands upon us, yea, the work of our hands establish thou it." I guess there is some Biblical precedent for sitting quietly and waiting for God to whisper what my work is to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sitting alongside you Evelyn...

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin