Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Signs on the Pilgrim Path

As I began the 'pilgrimage on my journey to discovery' in my online class, I was instructed to take contemplative walks this week with my camera in hand. So...off Lucie and I went to walk on our road, the one we walk on nearly every day. And what begged to be seen? Not animal tracks in the fresh snow, not lovely ice crystals or drifted cornices of blown snow, not even the dried reminders of last summer's beautiful wildflower displays. No, what popped out to me were signs! "Sign, sign, everywhere a sign, blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind!" (for those of you not quite as old as I am...those are lyrics from a 1970 song by the Five Man Electrical Band). Why does this minimally maintained dirt road need all this signage? and why can't I seem to find a single sign indicating I'm on the right Path, the Way, the chemin de pelerin?? Maybe I'm looking too hard. Maybe I need to 'soften my gaze' as my instructor suggests and let the Signs find me. I don't know; what do you think?

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin