Sunday, February 28, 2010

Walk Like A Pilgrim

I spent most of yesterday at the Confirmation Class retreat at Wesley Woods. All the mentors were invited to join their Confirmands as they discussed their faith statements, played Episcopal Jeopardy, and shared worship experiences at other churches and synagogues. I anticipated having a fun day, and I wasn't disappointed. I also anticipated being so engaged with the activities that I could take a rest from my mental tug-of-war between making a safe, sane decision about employment and my inner 'pilgrim' who is urging me to take a different path. God had a different idea, tho. One of the activities we did together was a silent walk around the retreat grounds. We were instructed to walk slowly and listen for God speaking to us. Fully expecting to 'hear' God in the beautiful snowscapes, clear blue sky and the deep evergreen woods, I was surprised when I noticed my mind humming "Ultreia," the pilgrim anthem. At first, I tried to re-focus my naughty inner pilgrim, but then I decided that maybe this was God's voice after all. By the end of our walk, I had planned a walking pilgrimage to Conques for myself, puzzled over how to invite others, and decided on questions and activities for the chemin. Now the work begins on how to make this daydreaming with God a reality.

This video is of a French man singing the Chant de pelegins de Compostelle ( Pilgrim's Anthem, as I call it) somewhere on the path. The elderly man next to him is Icelandic author, Thor Vilhjalmsson.
Here is the rough translation of what he's singing....
"Every morning we take the path, every morning we go further. Day after day we are called to the road by the voice of Compostelle.
Ultreia, ultreia! (forward, forward).We go higher, God help us!

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin