Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"I'm Coming, Lord!"

Part of my commitment from the Cursillo weekend experience is to live my faith in piety, study and action during what is called 'the 4th day,' or the rest of my life. My most recent 'study' was reading the book "A Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything" by James Martin, SJ. In this book Fr. Martin tells a story about St. Alphonsus Rodriguez(1532-1617). St. Alphonsus was a Jesuit who served 46 years at the Jesuit College in Majorca, Spain. He was a porter, or doorkeeper. His job was to answer the door, receive visitors, deliver messages, etc. The story goes that each time the bell would ring, 'he would look to the door and envision that it was God himself standing outside.' Then as he ran to open the door, he would say, "I'm coming, Lord!" In this way he commited himself to seeing Christ in all people and treating each visitor as he would Christ.

I tell this lovely story to share with you what my Cursillo action is this week. I am volunteering in the church office while the secretary is on vacation. My sole responsibility is to answer the phone and help the caller reach the person they need...the rector, the pre-school director, the book keeper, whomever. Like St. Alphonsus I've dedicated myself to taking a quick second to declare "I'm coming, Lord!" each time the phone rings. Do I expect Christ to be on the other end of the line? No...but I do expect to see Christ and hear his voice when the caller speaks. And I will respond to each call as I would respond to Christ.

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin