Sunday, August 22, 2010

"Only"

I have a confession to make. I was scolded by a caller during my volunteer stint at the church.. It was actually at the end of the very first phone call I answered...what a way to start, huh? I was trying to locate some information for the woman on the phone, and I excused my slowness by saying "The regular secretary is on vacation; I'm only a volunteer, so please forgive me for being so slow." As we got ready to hang up, she said to me..."please don't ever say you're 'only' a volunteer; volunteers help run this country. Without them nothing would get done!" Point well taken! I've said almost the same thing to others when they demur "Oh, I'm not the doctor; I'm only a nurse" or "I'm not the principal; I'm only a teacher."

You are not an 'only' anything! Who knows what really important things God might be using you for? You're not 'only' a sign; you may be the sign God's using to point someone in a new direction. You are not 'only' a lay person; you could be the person God is using to make a stranger feel comfortable during first visit to your church. You are not 'only' a beginner Christian; the very first prayer from your lips might be the one that goes straight to God's heart to seal your life to Him forever.

And here's another 'only'  to think about....as a unique and awesome creation of God, what is it that 'only' you in all your uniqueness and beauty, a perfect creation made by the Father...what is it that 'only' you can give to the world?

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin