Saturday, November 29, 2008

Holy Spirit

"Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in us the fire of your love."

I took this picture in a Paris church. I lit candles and whispered prayers for those I love more than once as I explored the churches of Paris. In St.-Germain-des-Pres I lit a candle to Ste. Anne and prayed for the well-being of my friend, Anne. I lit a tiny votive in Notre Dame and prayed for my family. What is it about lighting candles? I know that the Catholic Church has its own explanation for why Catholics do this, but why do I participate in this ritual so foreign to my Protestant upbringing? I believe the answer is in the Holy Spirit Prayer above: lighting a candle is symbolic of the Spirit's kindling the fire in my heart and expressing the love of God. As Bev said in her note: 'I pray that your experience at St. Timothy's has helped to kindle the fire of God's love in you.'

It has...amen.

No comments:

You might also like... Blog Widget by LinkWithin